While the seeds have an impressive nutritional profile (1 ounce has 9 grams of fat, 11 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, 18% of the US RDA of calcium, and Omega-3 fats), there are many benefits that can’t be understood by simply studying the nutrients. For example, the seeds, like flax seeds, form a thick, gelatinous substance in water. This implies that they would be helpful for blood sugar imbalances. In the stomach, this sort of thickening action can slow the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar.
There are other benefits of these seeds, indicated in a recent study. Participants’ blood clotting factor was reduced, as was inflammation.
Body levels of Omega-3 fatty acids were greatly increased, and blood pressure was reduced.
So how can you enjoy these healthful seeds? They are said to have very subtle flavor, making them palatable mixed with or sprinkled on
other foods. Here are some ideas.
1. Make a traditional Mexican beverage by mixing them with water, then adding lemon juice and sugar.
2. Sprinkle the seeds – ground or whole – onto hot or cold cereal, yogurt, salads, or soup.
3. Ground or whole seeds can be mixed into baked goods.
4. They can be sprouted very easily, and the sprouts can be eaten on sandwiches or soups. Sprouts can also be mixed into salads or blended into a green smoothie.
5. Sprinkle some seeds on peanut butter that you spread on crackers, a sandwich, celery sticks, and so forth.
6. Mix the seeds into homemade or commercial granola.
7. Add a tablespoon or two to a smoothie.
8. Mix ground or whole seeds in to baby food for a brain-building food that is not prone to incite allergies.
We hope that Chia Seeds Health Benefits – How To Add Them To Your Daily Diet helps you enjoy the nutritional benefits of this healthy seed.