1. Tofu Tuna Spread
This creamy spread serves 4.
* 1 6-ounce can of tuna, drained
* 1 tablespoon chopped pimento
* 1 tablespoon minced parsley
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
* A few drops hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco)
* 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
* 1/2 pound of soft tofu
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Chill in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours. Serve on toast or crackers with dill pickles as garnish.
2. Tofu Parmigiana
This main dish serves 4 to 6.
* 2 pounds firm or extra firm tofu, cut into slices half an inch thick
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 to 4 cups marinara spaghetti sauce
* 1 pound (16 ounces) grated mozzarella cheese
* Grated Parmesan cheese to taste (if desired)
Brown the tofu slices in the oil until lightly browned. Lay half the browned tofu in a single layer in a baking dish. Top with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese. Top with another layer of browned tofu, sauce, and cheese. Top with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if you like. Then bake at 350 degrees F for half an hour.
3. Baked Tofu
In this dish, the tofu is marinated first. This recipe will make about 15 slices.
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
* 1 small onion, minced
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 pound of firm tofu, cut into slices about 1/4 of an inch thick
Mix together all the ingredients except the tofu slices. Pour the marinade over the tofu slices, cover, and refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake, place the slices in a baking pan and pour remaining marinade over the slices. Bake at 350 degrees F for about half an hour. The slices are supposed to dry out and become chewy. Bake them longer if you like.
Serve the baked slices in sandwiches as a lunch meat substitute, or lay them over a bed of rice or noodles.
4. Tofu Lemon Pie
* 1 1/2 pounds silken tofu
* 1/2 cup sweetener of your choice (such as evaporated cane juice)
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 2 teaspoons lemon zest
* 1 16-ounce can of unsweetened, crushed pineapple, drained (save the juice)
* 1/4 cup shredded coconut
* 1 9-inch pie shell, pre-baked
Put all the ingredients except the pie shell into a blender. Blend until smooth, adding reserved pineapple juice as needed. You can also do this in two batches. Pour blended mixture into a bowl and fold in the coconut. Pour into the pie shell and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
We hope that these delicious simple tofu recipes makes your culinary experience a delightful one!