So what are the alternatives to using ones laced with these toxic chemicals? Using no softener at all when you do laundry can leave your clothes stiff, more wrinkled, and full of static. Thankfully, you don’t have to put up with that. There are natural alternatives to conventional fabric softeners. Here are some suggestions to help you ‘detox’ your laundry!
* Green fabric softeners can be found in stores. These natural, dye and fragrance-free softeners do not have the same toxic harsh chemicals as their conventional counterparts. Look for unscented, biodegradable fabric sheets or unscented liquid fabric softener made from natural, biodegradable ingredients.
* Toss a few tennis balls into your next load of laundry in the dryer. These work especially well on sheets. Static may still be a nuisance, but tennis balls will soften the fabric.
* Adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup of baking soda to your washing machine helps soften cloth and reduce static.
* White vinegar and baking soda, added in equal parts at the beginning of the rinse cycle, will result in soft fabrics. The two chemicals, baking soda and vinegar, combine to form a completely unscented liquid. So you don’t have to worry about smelling like vinegar!
* Skip these toxic commercial brands and even your own homemade types altogether and hang your clothes outside to dry. There is something naturally softening about the sun and fresh air, which is probably why most commercial brands try to emulate such outdoor scents themselves!
* Recycle your aluminum foil by tossing a crumpled piece of it into your dryer. Perhaps it’s the conductivity of the metal; either way, this technique helps reduce static.
* Soap nuts are a homemade natural alternative to liquid fabric softener. These fruits of the Chinese Soapberry tree (Sapindus mukorrossi) are placed in a drawstring bag and sent through the wash cycle. Then they can be dried out and used again. The soap nuts contain a natural soap-like substance called saponins that foam out of the nuts during the cycle. The saponins in the soap nuts soften and clean fabric and makes for a nice homemade alternative.
We hope that with these Homemade Fabric Softener Alternatives to chemically laden toxic softener you will find a safe alternative one to use!