* No synthetic dyes – This type of carpeting is not usually dyed with synthetic dyes. Natural pigments are used instead. This is a real benefit for those with allergies or chemical sensitivities.
* Fire-resistant – The flame-retardant properties of this material are very well known. This is why some people choose this material for their bedding or their children’s bedding.
* Insulating – Anyone who has worn one of these sweaters can attest to how well this stuff insulates. If you dread cold floors in the winter, wool carpet is for you! It is ideal in rooms situated over cold garages or basements as well.
* Stain-resistant – There is no need to spray stain-resistant chemicals on this surface. Like the organic dyes, this stain resistance is a boon for those with allergies or chemical sensitivities.
* Durable – The fibers of wool carpet have a natural spring-like shape, like curly hair (which it is!). This provides a great deal of “bounce back” from daily wear. Wool’s durability helps to offset its initial cost.
* Water-resistant – If you have ever spilled water on a rug of this material, you have seen how it beads. The water sits on top of the fibers for a while, giving you ample time to go get a rag or paper towel.
Another thing about wool’s resistance to moisture is its “wick effect.” While it resists water, when it does absorb moisture it does so within the fibers themselves. Thus, when wool does get wet, it often does not feel damp to the touch.
* Variety of design – You may think of this material for a rug as invariably white or off-white. But there are quite a few colors and patterns to choose from.
* Renewable – It is sheared off of the sheep every year. It grows back in time to keep the sheep warm for the winter, and then summer is shearing season. Rugs made from synthetic fibers often contain petroleum products, and petroleum is a non-renewable resource. This material, on the other hand, renews itself quite rapidly and is very sustainable!
* Comfort – This type of carpet is soft and comfortable, and supports weight very well. As noted above, it springs back well from foot traffic. It’s a good choice for people with pain or stiffness in their weight-bearing joints.
We hope that The Benefits of Natural Wool Carpeting helps you in your natural carpet search quest.