“Tastes Like Turkey” Roast
This uses a store-bought tofu roast and traditional herbs and spices associated with roast turkey.
* One vegetarian roast, such as a tofu loaf or the smoked tofu loaf pictured
* 1/4 cup melted buttery spread or olive oil, or a combination
* 2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning
* 1 teaspoon of paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon sage
* Salt and pepper to taste
Spread the buttery spread and/or olive oil onto the vegetarian roast. In a separate bowl, mix all the herbs and spices. If you are using fresh herbs, combine them separately from the paprika. Sprinkle this herb and spice mix liberally over the roast and bake according to the package directions.
Tofu with Stuffing
This recipe involves making the roast from “scratch,” using blocks of tofu. It serves 4.
* 1 pound (16 ounces) of firm tofu
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
* 1/4 teaspoon savory
* 1 12-ounce package of stuffing mix
* 2/3 cup water
* 1/4 cup buttery spread
* 1 slice of whole grain bread, cubed
* 2 additional tablespoons water
* 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
* 1 teaspoon vegetarian barbecue sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
* 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
* 1 teaspoon orange juice
* 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. Blend or process drained, rinsed tofu until smooth. Stir in the salt and pepper, savory and marjoram.
2. Line a colander with two layers of paper towels. Set the colander over a bowl and pour in the tofu mixture. Press it up along the sides so that it forms a well in the center. Cover the tofu with two more paper towel layers and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
3. While the tofu chills, combine the stuffing mix, 2/3 cup water and buttery spread in a saucepan. Cook it according to package directions. Then add the sage, cubed bread, and the 2 tablespoons of water.
4. While tofu is still in the colander, remove the top layers of paper towels and fill the tofu “well” with stuffing. Using 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil, grease a baking sheet. Place this sheet over the colander with the filled tofu in it. Invert the colander so that the tofu is now mound-shaped and the stuffing is underneath. Remove paper towels.
5. Bake the tofu turkey at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. While it’s baking, prepare the glaze by combining all of the ingredients including the 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil that are left.
7. Remove the tofu turkey from the oven and brush or baste it with the glaze. Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
If you like, turn the broil on after baking and broil for about 3 minutes to produce a crispy, brown top.
With all said and done, this meal provides a healthy alternative to the normal feast most of us enjoy each year. We hope that Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes – Tofu Recipes – How to Cook Tofu Roast helps with your Thanksgiving celebration this season and makes it a healthy, hearty one!